BioHaven® Floating Islands
Floating Islands: A Innovative Product for Protecting and Restoring our Environment
BioHaven® Floating Islands help repair ecosystems by accelerating the natural recovery processes. They act as a habitat, natural barrier, incubator, and filter for any wetland environment. Constructed of durable, non-toxic recycled PET plastic, BioHavens® are vegetated with native plants.
Above the water line, BioHavens® float and provide a beautiful habitat for local birds and animals while reducing erosion through wave attenuation. Beneath the water line, vegetation and the matrix surface area work to remove unwanted pollutants using proven scientific pathways to create a concentrated wetland effect. Find out more about How They Work.
Manufactured from Recycled Plastic Bottles
BioHaven® Floating Islands are manufactured using a durable non-woven recycled Polyethylene terephthalate (PET) plastic called matrix. The source of the matrix material is recycled plastic drinking bottles. We’d like to note that for every square foot of 2 inch thick matrix nearly 3 (12 ounce) plastic bottles are prevented from going into landfills.
This environmentally friendly process prevents millions of plastic bottles from entering landfills each year!
BioHaven® Floating Island Products
- Protects shorelines by reducing wave heights and energies
- Stabilizes banks
- Replaces sacrificial terraces
- Creates new marsh, while introducing immediate habitat for wildlife, water fowl, and fisheries
- Filters and reduces nutrients and pollutants
The BioHaven Floating Breakwater (BFB) is customizable in any size and thickness. Typical product dimensions are 7.5’W x 25’L x 14″D for Shoreline protection and bank stabilization.
The BioHaven® Floating Breakwater has been endorsed by The Water Institute of the Gulf for the Coastal Innovation Partnership Program for Shoreline Protection and Bank Stabilization. CIPP Press Release
- Generates microbial activity needed to convert nutrients into a food source for fish, birds and other wildlife
- Filters and reduces unwanted nutrients
- Can be planted with any type of terrestrial or aquatic vegetation
- Provides a habitat for a variety of species
- Creates an attractive addition to any waterscape
The BioHaven Floating Island product comes in standard kidney shaped designs starting at 35 ft2 in size. These Islands are also customizable to a variety of sizes, shapes, and even logos!
- Reduces total suspended solids (TSS), biological oxygen demand (BOD), nitrates, phosphates, ammonia, and other unwanted nutrients.
- Withstands fluctuations in water levels.
- Can be retro-fitted to existing systems, such as waste water lagoons.
- Treats runoff and drainage including urban stormwater, agricultural runoff and other non point-source applications.
The BioHaven Floating Treatment Wetlands come in standard sizes of 5’W x 15’L x 8″D. They can also be customized to fit your project needs.
Planting is made easy with pre-drilled holes ready for vegetation and brushing.
Due to its lightweight material and floating design, the duck blind can be easily towed or moved to various locations.
Camouflaged into its natural surroundings, the blind enables hunters a closer first shot.
- 2 Dog Kennels
- Bench Seating
- Gun Holders
Floating Docks make great additions to your outdoor experience by bringing renewed functionality to fishing, kayaking and boating relaxation.
BioHaven® Floating Docks are manufactured by decking the same durable PET matrix used to make BioHaven® Floating Islands. They are decked with treated wood or plastic lumber.
By using the same matrix material, the floating docks offer similar benefits to reducing unwanted pollutants and nutrients.