BioHaven Floating Island Technology
BioHaven® Floating Island Technology helps repair ecosystems by accelerating the natural recovery processes. Through patented technology, Martin Ecosystems manufactures Floating Islands which provide the foundation for improving ecosystems.
Manufactured from Recycled Plastic Bottles
All of Martin Ecosystems’s products are manufactured using a durable non-woven recycled Polyethylene terephthalate (PET) plastic called matrix. The source of the matrix material is recycled plastic drinking bottles.
This environmentally friendly process prevents millions of plastic bottles from entering landfills each year!
The matrix is dense, but porous and contains over 107 ft2 of surface area for good bacteria and plants to grow on. Plants are grown hydroponically through the matrix while filtering and removing harmful nutrients from the water.
BioHaven® Floating Island Technology Products
- Protects shorelines by reducing wave heights and energies
- Stabilizes banks
- Creates new marsh, while introducing immediate habitat for wildlife, water fowl, and fisheries
- Filters and reduces nutrients and pollutants
The BioHaven Floating Breakwater is customizable in any size and thickness. For Shoreline protection and bank stabilization the product dimensions are 7.5′W x 25′L x 14″D.
The BioHaven® Floating Breakwater has been endorsed by The Water Institute of the Gulf for the Coastal Innovation Partnership Program for Shoreline Protection and Bank Stabilization. CIPP Press Release
- Generates microbial activity needed to convert nutrients into a food source for fish, birds and other wildlife
- Filters and reduces unwanted nutrients
- Can be planted with any type of terrestrial or aquatic vegetation
- Provides a habitat for a variety of species
- Creates an attractive addition to any waterscape
The BioHaven Floating Island product comes in standard kidney shaped designs starting at 35 ft2 in size. These Islands are also customizable to a variety of sizes, shapes, and even logos!
- Reduces total suspended solids (TSS), biological oxygen demand (BOD), nitrates, phosphates, ammonia, and other unwanted nutrients.
- Withstands fluctuations in water levels.
- Can be retro-fitted to existing systems, such as waste water lagoons.
- Treats runoff and drainage including urban stormwater, agricultural runoff and other non point-source applications.
The BioHaven Floating Treatment Wetlands come in standard sizes of 5′W x 15′L x 8″D. They can also be customized to fit your project needs.
Learn more about how BioHaven® Floating Technology is meeting the needs of local, state and federal governments as well as private industry and discover which Martin Ecosystems product is right for you. Contact us today.